Search This Blog

Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Storage Tanks (Terrain)

Whilst I've been working on rolling out a huge number of modular buildings, I've also been collecting tin cans.  Why?  I saw the following image on FaceBook recently and thought "Hell, I reckon I could do something like that!"


Well I'm a long way from that wonder (which is apparently some 30 pieces in total) but I have started experimenting all the same.

So here's the tank: it was built with a tin can and six bits of plastic I nicked from a skip bin.  I spray  painted/primed it matt black then painted it using some basic poster paints.  To add a bit of interest, I stuck on half a dozen notices etc that I had in my papercraft bits box.  Finally I stuck it onto a clear perspex base, primarily so I could see whatever terrain on which it's placed.  All said, I'm pretty happy with the cost:benefit outcome - I quite like it.  I can see some variations on the theme coming up in due course...



So the nice thing about this particular setup is it slots perfectly into the 5.5" square 'buildings' I've been making to date - check it out:
"Barry, just farking check it out!  How bad could it be mate??"


Upon securing their objective, the Chaos Space Marines weren't going to let anyone crash their party.
That Sapporo Door is another experiment: it's bits of plastic primed and painted but made with a kind of hook on the back so it slots into the 'windows' of the building - that way I can add or remove them at will... and makes some better looking doors!

Sunday, 12 November 2017

Libuscha Prime Buildings (Terrain)

The Libuscha setting has been taking shape in the collective Berman hive mind for almost a year.  It's kind of cool how the more we play in this make-believe setting, the more real the setting becomes - maybe there's some sort of positive feedback mechanism at work?   Whatever, I'm not complaining, as it's a hell of a lot of fun to be playing with the kids and also having an opportunity to exercise that creative side of my brain that has been apparently hibernating for a few years.

More recently, thanks to a lucky dumpster strike during my commute home, I found a whole lot of hard/strong plastic industrial packing spacers (for lack of a better term).  They are about 4 inches/10cms to a side and interlock with one another.   As is evident from the picture to the right, they're just the right scale for 28mm miniatures and with a deft application of some power tools, glue and reinforcing card or plastic, they form a basic square with a floor inside and an interesting relief design on the exterior.

Did I mention they can interlock? Not only can they interlock, but if they are balanced/placed correctly they also provide 'windows'.  With 40+ of these little gems at hand, the lads and I began experimenting with layouts etc....

With a better appreciation as to what the blocks might do, I started knocking them together - there was A LOT of experimentation using different glues (super, hot, pva, plastic cement etc) and reinforcing materials (card, plasticard, plastic etc) and eventually I arrived at some combinations that struck the right balance between (apparent) durability, low-cost and ease of preparation and assembly.  So, over the course of a couple of weekends, Dad's Shed Workshop when into production mode...
We have been very happy with the results.  In addition to standard squares (using 4 spacers) I also tried my hand at some more complex shapes.  With the shapes built, I then played around using various methods to paint them - in addition to old fashion paint brushes, I tried spray cans and my airbrush.  The airbrush was especially effective and I had a go at both couple of basic stencils (cut by hand - no prizes for picking  up the references) and a light through the window-style effect.

After firing up a quick 200 point game of Rogue Planet, we were certain we were on a winner 😉

Having crept past the Nova Corp Marines, Disco Steve let lose into his primary objective - a squad of Terminators!
Sing it "Everybody in the House of Love, One Love, One God..."
So what now?  Well, the first batch of "buildings" is now effectively table-top ready 'done' and I'm now starting to put my mind as to what I'll do with the rest... yes "rest" as in I've almost got the same number of spacers again, ready and waiting to be slapped together to make for a @#^#$% HUGE amount of terrain - my dreams of a megacity one bloc war-type table is feeling increasingly achievable 😄

That image on the left is basically half of the spacers at work - I'd like to see if I can do something similar and try a 2000AD Bloc War maybe using Rogue Planet or similar.  With a few pipes, gangways, cooling towers, landing platforms and the like, I reckon there's a huge amount of fun to be had.







Monday, 30 October 2017

Halloween Plant life (Terrain)

Recently I visited Dakka Dakka which had a great article from yesteryear detailing a Cheap and easy way to build a Tyranid mycetic spore.  So, during the course of the weekend, Alex and I were left to our own devices for much of Sunday and we spent some time doing stuff in the shed.  "Stuff" = spray paint, melting, cutting and other fun things.  Later that day Charlie gave me a hand with the painting and the resulting labour of love was a delight.  Something tells me we might be making a few more of these little beauties and our Banksia might have a run for their money... I'll have to work out some stats for this thing and use it in a game pronto!
"Okay Disco Steve, don't do anything rash now - we don't want to excite the plant..."
There's a few more shots in this album.  BTW here's the inspiration for our plant.  Awesome.